07 June 2005

This One Thing's Always Supposed to Stay

Is it strange that I can derive intense, soul-satisfying pleasure from finding a new song that I really, really like?

Natalie, a friend of mine from my Ohio youth, was in town a few weeks ago on business (you can read about it on her blog, if you like). She'd recently been cleaning her place, and has discovered a mix tape some boy had made for her back in the '90s when she was at university. She was going to throw this tape away, but thought kind enough to have me see if I enjoyed any of it - and if not, I could throw it in my dumpster. I'm coming off a four-day bender, and couldn't seem to find the energy for a proper work-out, so I plopped on a stationary bike yesterday for all 90-minutes of the cassette. And frankly, it's not that exciting. And I was reading at the same time, barely even paying attention to the thing.

But somehow, towards the end of side 1, I was hooked on a track - and while I'm dubious of love-at-first-sight, there is something almost as amazing, love at first-listen. The vast majority of songs require repetitive exposure - I love Radiohead's "OK Computer" and Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation," but owned each album for over a year because the first few spins, well, I didn't get "it." Anyway, I've been walking around with my Sony Walkman Cassette Player, rewinding & replaying the same song again, again, and again.

I suppose life's all about simple pleasures, and finding a new song can actually make my day (even if it's a 10+ year old song from a band no one listens to in the States). And it has made mine - thanks Moose.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you didn't say what song it is!

13:49  
Blogger Mama Moose said...

So glad to hear it..but what's the song?!?? Or are you going to keep it to yourself?

13:51  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I can sympathize with you. I derive a great deal of pleasure from listening to a group called Sacred Spirit. Of course, I'm also a fan of the Chieftains, Enigma, Enya, and lots of other stuff that nobody else listens to. My stepdaughter hates to ride in the car with me unless I allow her to control the radio. Somehow, I just don't get the same kind of fulfillment out of 50 Cent, Eminem, or Beyonce. Not even the Black Eyed Peas can compare to a group of Native Americans singing songs that I don't understand to really catchy techno beats. I'm so weird.

02:18  
Blogger Jason said...

Isn't amazing what Sarah's accomplished...she figured the song out. Nice work!

15:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Website Counter